Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My First Race

Back in May we took a little family trip to Brookings, South Dakota to participate in the marathon weekend. I ran in the Scotty Roberts 5K the night before the marathon. It was SO cold! The wind was blowing at about 25 mph and there was quite a wind chill.

I didn't really prepare for this race, I just knew that I could run three miles and thought it would be fun to try. It was really, really fun! The whole atmosphere with lots of other people there made the whole thing really exciting.

I finished the 5K in 25:31, averaging about 8 1/2 minutes per mile. That's the fastest I've ever run in my life! I felt so awesome after I finished and couldn't wait to do it again!


It was also really fun to watch my husband run the marathon. It was something he never thought he'd do, so it was awesome! I was so proud of him.

Not only was I proud of him, I was inspired by him... inspired so much that I have started training for the Omaha Marathon which will be held on September 27. My training is going really well. I never, ever thought I would actually enjoy running, but it is truly addicting!

So now I've said it out loud... I'm going to run a marathon! I thought at first that I wouldn't tell anyone because then if I failed, no one would have to know, but that's NO motivation! My experience with weight loss and this blog have taught me that for the most part when you tell others about your goals and aspirations, they can help support you through the good and the bad on your way to reaching those goals.

So, Omaha Marathon, here I come!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I love reading your blog, keep it up, you are very inspiring! -Des

Me said...

You LOOK amazing.

Jeannie Young said...

You are truly amazing. Good luck with the training. Are you doing a 1/2 marathon or full? I'll be cheering you on from here in CT.

Ela and Daniel Asisi said...

Luella, it is truly inspiring! Congrats!!!