Thursday, January 22, 2009

Still Learning

Frustration.

That's what I'm feeling.

It's not because I've been unsuccessful . . . I have been successful. This week, though, has opened my eyes to the fact that I'm still learning . . . and sometimes, I go against the things I already know to be true.

For example, I know that pizza is my personal adversary, my mortal enemy to weight loss . . . pizza can throw me off of a good eating day faster than anything, and it is virtually impossible to stop eating it! If there is pizza still available, I will eat until I am busting at the seams.


And all the while there is a little voice in the back of my head screaming, "No! Not pizza! You know you can't defeat pizza!" This voice knows that pizza destroys my resolve and leaves me wanting to eat even more--usually ice cream!

Why can't I stay away from pizza? I'm really not sure. I guess a part of me doesn't want to be deprived of anything and pizza is a food I really love.

And it's not just pizza . . . other junk foods have a hold on me that I still haven't been able to break . . . french fries, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, pop tarts. Thankfully, I don't have these foods all that often, but when I am faced with them, I usually eat way more than I wanted and end up feeling defeated.

This week there have been several meals that have left me feeling defeated--not because I went over on my points, but because I ate until I was stuffed and uncomfortable. I have felt this week like I was eating for something more than hunger . . . and I'm just not sure what other void I was trying to fill.

My weigh-in is tomorrow and based on my tracking and exercise this week, I should be expecting a loss although I'm not feeling it. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised . . . you never know.

This week I've got to work on eating for hunger . . . I read a quote this week in a magazine that said, "If you're not hungry, you shouldn't be eating." So simple, really.

That will be my goal for this week:

To identify hunger and satisfy it, and to examine my feelings when I determine it's not hunger and figure out what I can do to satisfy that need.

1 comment:

Jeannie Young said...

Great point. I know too often I eat for other reasons than hunger. Thanks for the reminder. Any ideas on what to do to combat emotional eating, or how to get your mind of food when you're not really hungry!?