Monday, January 19, 2009

Bothered...

Does anyone else get bothered when January rolls around and all the advertisements start promising surefire weight loss, a magic pill, the quick solution to all your weight loss problems? I sure do! Sure enough, every January, every internet sidebar and dozens of TV commercials start making outrageous promises, all counting on the fact that a desperate public will fork over the dough for a magic solution. I honestly get SO mad when I hear the words, "Eat whatever you want, no exercise required!" Yesterday the sidebar on my email had a dramatic before and after picture of a woman saying: "I lost 46 pounds in two weeks!" What did she do, buy a tapeworm?

It just infuriates me to no end that big companies try to dupe people into buying products that will do nothing for them. And believe me, I know this from experience! I've been on the pills, prescription and non... and while they do work for a while, that's not something you can do for the rest of your life! And where is the information about the side effects? It's so frustrating to me!

I'm so grateful to Weight Watchers--so grateful that it's something totally doable and it fits into my everyday life. I CAN eat anything I want... in moderation, of course. I get frustrated when any diet plan/program tries to cut out entire food groups (Yes, I've done Atkins!) or even sweets... like I'm never going to have a bowl of ice cream again? Yeah, right.

I'm not sure where this post is going, but I just wanted to express my frustration with quick fixes--especially because they get into my head and tempt me to try them! There is NO quick fix. To lose weight and keep it off you must expend more calories than you consume . . . day after day, year after year.

Does anyone else get bugged by this?

1 comment:

Jeannie Young said...

YES I DO!!! You probably already know that though. I hate the whole diet scene and quick fix-too good to be true weight loss solutions. They are ridiculous and it's sad so many people get sucked into them, only to yo-yo back to their original weight, or even higher weight. Anyway, I know exactly what you are talking about. The one major thing I learned from my Fitness/Wellness Management degree is that it takes a LIFESTYLE change that includes healthy eating AND exercise to reach and maintain a healthy weight. I love the motto: Variety in Moderation! And that's my two cents! =)