Monday, January 19, 2009

Just Do It

I really haven't been very good at updating the blog lately! I got in the vacation mindset over Christmas break and I haven't been able to get back in the swing of things! Speaking of Christmas, the holidays didn't have a huge impact on my weight loss since I was sick that week, but I managed to make up for that by squandering that loss the next two weeks. Unfortunately, I felt like I had somehow been robbed of indulgence and I overate for two weeks running, gaining back all but .6 lbs of the weight I lost Christmas week. Thankfully, I was able to stop the bleeding this week and come back strong with a 4 pound loss, to hit my lowest weight yet.

I have had a lot of random thoughts lately about this weight loss journey. Becoming a slim (or slimmer) person has really changed a lot of preconceived notions I once had. Having been overweight pretty much my entire life, I always figured that thin people just had it easy... I knew people who could eat pretty much whatever they wanted and not gain an ounce. I don't know about you, but that always made me mad! Honestly, though, I think those people are pretty few and far between.

I have a couple of friends, two in particular, who are very thin, but who still make a concerted effort to eat well and exercise--I really love that! I used to think, "Oh, she doesn't even have to try!" But now I know better. I know that a person can be very thin and still be VERY out of shape, and a person can carry a few extra pounds and be very fit. It's been an eye-opening experience.

You know one of the best parts about losing weight? The compliments. There is just nothing better than having someone recognize your hard work with a compliment... I sincerely appreciate every single compliment, and they never get old.

I also overcame a personal obstacle in the past few weeks. I have wanted to teach aerobics for a long time now... it's something I enjoy and always felt like I would be good at. I have a friend who has encouraged me, but I always felt self-conscious with the extra weight. I figure who wants to take a fitness class from someone who isn't fit? Well, I have finally become comfortable enough in my skin to get over my self-consciousness and I am working on getting hired at a local gym! It's just such a good feeling to want something and to go out and get it.

So to everyone who has been held back for one reason or another, if there's something you want to accomplish, don't let anything hold you back. Whoever you are, whatever you want to do, you can do it! If I can do it, you can do it!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Louella you are amazing! I used to think of us as peers, but now you are completely inspiring me! The picture progression in your "year in review" post is amazing! You have come so far. Way to go!

Micaela said...

Man, what an inspiration you are! And how cool about the instructor job! I've always been amazed at your determination to be fit; especially your enthusiasm for exercising. All of it is SO great!

JoAnn said...

I needed that today.... thanks for sharing your thoughts

Jeannie Young said...

That is awesome about teaching aerobics. You'll have to let me know how it goes. Who are you getting certifies through? What class are you interested in teaching? Way to go, you'll be great!