Friday, July 11, 2008

Vacation . . . SUCCESS!!

For the first time . . . EVER . . . I came home from vacation feeling good about myself! That is quite an accomplishment, if I do say so myself. Every other "vacation" I've ever taken in my life (including those 9-month vacations called "pregnancy") has turned into a food free-for-all with me elbowing the senior citizens out of the way in the all-you-can-eat buffet line.

I cannot tell you how good it feels to know that I continued to take care of my health while we were gone. I posted about my first weigh-in in Utah . . . lost 1.6 lbs. Last Friday wasn't as successful and I saw a gain of 1.4 lbs. Today I was up another .8 lbs. That's a total gain of .6 lbs . . . which I think is pretty awesome, considering two whole weeks of barbecues, eating out and 4 days on the road!

Here's what I did:

I went into it scared; I had lots of good food choices in the car; I journaled all but two days; I exercised as much as I could (took my Tae-bo DVD's with me); I ate what I wanted when I wanted it in healthy portions; I enjoyed my favorite restaurants that are only in Utah; and I remained flexible, compensating for restaurant meals with lighter meals before and after. IT WAS AWESOME!

I'm just so glad that I stayed with it. My old self would have given up two hours into the road trip when the snacks started calling my name. I was back at my meeting this morning and it was good to see the familiar faces and to see my awesome leader, Nancy. We talked about perseverance today, what a great topic! I'm so glad I persevered through the vacation and I'm ready for the week ahead. Go out there and make yourself a great week!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Way to go! I knew you would do it, you were so committed before you left! I did well too, despite eating at Cafe Rio three times in one week (my favorite food of all time)!