Sunday, June 8, 2008

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Friday is my Weight Watchers meeting day, and I forgot to update the blog after weigh-in yesterday. I went in feeling pretty confident; I had had several really good workouts and I was looking for a pretty good loss. When the scale only showed -.8 lbs, I had to work to hide my disappointment. My leader, Nancy, always points out that a loss is a loss, no matter how small. So, I am happy with my loss, even though it isn't what I wanted. I have to continually remind myself that losses of only .8 per week do add up over time.

One of my biggest struggles with weight loss/control is that I want it NOW! I do not want to have a loss of .8 lbs over how ever many weeks... I want a loss of 50 pounds now! I know that's not possible, and this time I am trying to do it right, and do it permanently. I do know how to lose weight quickly, and I've done it before... but I've seen it come right back on just as fast. This time, I'm trying to be patient.

Looking at the big picture is sometimes hard because the final goal seems so far away, even unattainable. It's much easier and more realistic to break the journey up into smaller steps. I reached my first goal (10%) last week, and my next goal is to be under 200 (OH! It is SO hard to actually type the numbers!). That's only 10 pounds away, and that's very doable.

This week I'll be listening intently to the little voice in the back of my head that whispers, "Patience, Luella, patience. You can do it."

No comments: