Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Road Trip!

Okay, so we're on our way to Utah. Road Trips are definitely hazardous when you're trying to eat well! My idea of a road trip growing up was being able to spend crazy amounts of money on nuts, beef jerky, gummy worms and every other snack I usually didn't allow myself and to eat them with reckless abandon for 12 hours straight. That's not exactly conducive to maintaining a healthy weight!

We tried to be good about food in the car. We let the kids each pick a treat (Spiderman fruit snacks and Yogos) and we packed granola bars, peanuts, crackers, V-8, a cooler with grapes, carrots, sliced cheese, bananas, yogurt and lots of water. Considering how the day could have gone had I just let myself go, I did very well. I wrote everything down until the evening, when we went to Outback Steakhouse. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and got broccoli instead of fries. I could have asked for no cheese, but come on . . . this is vacation! There have to be some indulgences!

I don't have high hopes for the weigh-in this Friday (I'm planning to attend a meeting in Utah), but I hope that I don't see a gain. It's near impossible to get in a workout when you're trying to travel almost 1,000 miles in two days with three kids, but hopefully I'll be able to make up for that once we get there. We're planning to go hiking at least two days and I'm sure we'll be walking around a few malls. I also brought all my Tae-Bo DVD's and I'm sure I'll do that more than once.

So, after day one, things are going well. I just have to keep reminding myself that vacation is not an excuse to let go of all the good habits I have learned, and that indulging in food that I want in the moment will NOT help me feel better in the long run.

Time for bed . . . Tomorrow, Utah here we come!

1 comment:

Jeannie Young said...

Sounds like you have a great plan for eating healthy and getting exercise in. Good luck on the drive with the kids! Enjoy my parents house, I wish I were there with you!