Monday, June 23, 2008

Oh, Guilt...

Who hasn't had to deal with guilt at one time or another? It's everywhere... regret for past actions, guilt for wronging another, for not being better at something... MOMMY GUILT, anyone? Man, I REALLY hate guilt. And, I am guilty (no pun intended =) ) of letting it overwhelm me at times.

One source of guilt that I am trying to eradicate from my life is food guilt. It's a vicious cycle . . . you want the food, you eat the food (too much of the food!), you feel TERRIBLE after eating the food, you feel like a failure, you say what's the use . . . you want the food, you eat the food . . . and on and on until you end up overweight and on the couch with another bowl of said food. Okay, so I'm exaggerating, but really . . . guilt is no fun, and it's a slippery slope that leads to a definite loss of self-worth.

That said, I'm dealing this morning with a case of food guilt. My husband came home from his deployment on Saturday afternoon. He had requested a favorite meal, topped off with chocolate cheesecake. On Saturday night I did soooo well! I was so proud of myself, I had the smallest sliver of cheesecake (still 5 1/2 points!), and I was satisfied. Sunday was a different story! Somehow, the cheesecake overcame me and I ate two . . . yes, TWO . . . pieces of that darn cake. Almost immediately afterward I was so furious at myself, and I felt so disgusting. I really, really wished that I could make myself throw up. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm not sure at the moment) even if I really want to throw up, I can't make myself, no matter what I stick down my throat. So, this morning I'm dealing with the "food hangover", and with the thought that we're leaving on vacation on Wednesday and I used up more than half of my weekly points allowance on that dumb cheesecake.

There is a voice from crash diets of the past whispering in my ear that I can make up for it today by eating very little and working out a lot . . . but what will that solve? I'll just be hungry and cranky, and that doesn't make anyone feel better. On the other shoulder, the Weight Watchers voice of sensibility is whispering, "Just stay on plan today . . . drink all your water, exercise, eat well, and forget about the stupid cheesecake." I think that's a better plan.

1 comment:

The Toronto Family said...

Thats Right stick too it!!! if you have been working out your body will beat that cheese cake crap right out of you, if you don;t eat you will throw your body off and do more damage- stay on the path!! I told Will I was going to invent a diet where you could eat any thing you want (this is kinds gross) where you eat and taste that that yummy goodness but you don't sallow (you spit it out) Will said I'm crazy. And I'm not sure how satifiying it would be anyway-

I understand food guilt only I usually do the hardly eating anything and being cranky, although I know it does more harm them good- stay strong-!!!!!