Friday, April 3, 2009

Continuous Effort

Weigh-in this morning went well. I lost 1.6 lbs, bringing the total to 57.2 since joining Weight Watchers and 69.2 all together.


So why am I not happy with that?!? All morning long I've been asking myself why I'm not satisfied with that loss, and I think it's because my expectations were too high. I did really well this week, eating a balanced diet and I didn't eat all of my weekly points allowance (an extra 35) like I usually do. I thought that would translate into a bigger loss.

But, it didn't. Bummer.

As I get closer and closer to my goal I find myself getting more and more impatient. I need to remind myself that this journey is not a sprint, but a marathon, and often the last six miles are the hardest... and the slowest! I was hoping for a better number, but I am happy with 1.6. It's a loss, and that's what counts. Baby steps, right?


Someone wise once told me that "success is simply continuous effort". And how right he was. That's the key. If I make an unwise food choice, I eat better the next day. If I don't give my all in a workout, I work harder that next time. Whenever I fall, I get back up. That's what counts, and that's what will get me to my goal.

I taught a strength class this morning and as we were holding a 60-second full plank, I told them that a year ago I couldn't have held that plank for ten seconds, much less sixty! In fact, I did my first full plank in several years about 6 weeks ago, and it's amazing how far I've come since then. Continuous effort in exercise REALLY pays off!


Success for me now has much less to do with the scale and much more to do with how I feel about myself.


I can do anything! I feel strong, I feel capable, I feel proud.


And that's worth more to me than anything.

6 comments:

JoAnn said...

Amazing!!! that is just what you are AMAZING!!! I love reading your journey I always do!!! you inspire me! I just LOVE the shot of the before and now! WOW!! you are one hot manna! you know what I love most about you? (beside the most friendly personality ever! and how funny you are... your smile you have the most beautiful full of light smile!) I love the picture of you at the computer too, so cute!!!

JoAnn said...

ok I'm a DORK was to say Momma not manna :)

Loveless Fam said...

I can't believe the transformation. I hope you don't mind me reading your journey you are making it is very inspiring to me. I love the way you word things. I am at a point in my life that I can't wait until Monday to change the change has to be today. After reading this last entry you've made it has relite the desire to do something for myself, to feel better about myself. I want that same feeling of success that you have found. Thanks for the inspiration I really needed that! Watch out I am about to sexy my back!! Hehehehe

Jeannie Young said...

You look so awesome! It's amazing to see before and after pictures. Way to go on the loss, even though it wasn't as much as you'd hoped for. In most all of my college fitness classes they always said that healthy weight loss that stays off should be 1-2 lbs a week. So you are right on the mark! I'm glad the fitness instructor position is working out for you (by the way, I LOVE the plank! Great job holding it for a full minute!)

Kelly said...

You look so BEAUTIFUL!!!! Bet it's fun now to shop for clothes.

TerriLyn said...

I love that dress, you look soooo good! You are beautiful!