Monday, June 16, 2008

Who Doesn't Love Pancakes?

Oh, pancakes... the ultimate in comfort breakfast. I love them, the kids love them. Do weight watchers love them? Um, not so much. Pancakes with all the trimmings at a restaurant can set you back quite a few points... probably more than you get for the whole day. Fortunately, there are ways to make great pancakes! We tried gingerbread pancakes a few months back and they've become a staple, (so, so, so yummy, I promise to share the recipe soon!), so yesterday (Sunday) morning, the kids were all for trying a new pancake recipe.

These are delicious! I think what I love best about these is that you don't need anything but a little bit of spread/butter/whatever you use on top. No dealing with the points or mess of syrup.

Chunky Apple Pancakes

1 cup flour
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp vegetable oil
2/3 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup chunky applesauce

  1. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine egg, oil, milk, and applesauce; stir with a whisk until blended. Add to flour mixture, and stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
  2. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Yield: 8 pancakes, 2 points each.
I always double the batch when I make pancakes, then you can eat them later for snacks (the kids eat them cold, right out of the fridge) or for breakfast on another day. They also freeze really well. I just use the toaster to warm them up, then spread light butter on top and voilĂ ! a very tasty breakfast!

This was our first time making this recipe, and they were a big hit with me and Eli. Carli wasn't too impressed with the apple chunks, so about two-thirds of the way through the batter, I chopped up a banana (chopped, not smashed) and added that in. That worked like a charm! I think she believed that the apples were gone, and I didn't try to change her mind. I loved the added banana . . . they tasted like banana bread! So next time, I will just add banana from the beginning. I also promised that we will eat them with sliced bananas and strawberries and whipped cream.

Anyone want to join us??

1 comment:

Jeannie Young said...

Sounds sooo yummy! Thanks for the great recipe. We still need to try the Gingerbread pancakes. Our printer died, so I finally got around to going to my mother-in-law's to print the recipe off. Can't wait to have them one morning! Maybe tomorrow!!