Sunday, June 15, 2008

It could have been so much worse

Well, I made it through last night-- but not without a battle. Not five minutes after I finished the post, Eli came and asked me if we could make cookies. Seems the demon was calling out to him as well. And with those five words, "Can we make cookies please", all my resolve came crashing down.

I tried to be real about it. I knew the craving was real, but I knew I was on the edge emotionally and that the smallest thing was going to send me diving to the bottom of the bowl, not just swimming around the edges. I looked up a Weight Watchers recipe for chocolate chip cookies, and we got started. I knew that even if things went horribly wrong, I couldn't eat more than 24 points . . . that's the entire recipe!

Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 2 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp table salt
  • 1 large egg white(s)
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, about 1/2 cup
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
  • In a medium bowl, cream together butter, oil and sugar. Add vanilla, salt and egg white; mix thoroughly to combine.
  • In a small bowl, mix together flour and baking soda; stir into batter. Add chocolate chips to batter; stir to distribute evenly throughout.
  • Drop rounded half-teaspoons of dough onto one or two large nonstick baking sheets, leaving a small amount of space between each cookie. Bake cookies until golden around edges, about 4 to 6 minutes; cool on a wire rack. Yields 2 cookies per serving, 1 point.
These little cookies are actually really good... the dough was tasty too. I ate 14 points worth of dough... I really don't care about them after they're cooked. It was more than I wanted to eat, but I didn't have to feel guilty about it, because I had the points and I wrote it down. So I ate broccoli and chocolate chip cookies for dinner . . . So what??

Score: Me--1, Cookie Dough Demon--Zero

(P.S. Thanks to my friend Heather for the kind comment. Heather is a fellow weight watcher who has lost more than 40 lbs! Awesome!!)

No comments: