Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Beef Macaroni Soup


I was really craving something good for dinner tonight. By good, I mean something that tastes good, and is good for me as well. I haven't been cooking very much since my husband has been deployed. I usually cook a lot because I really enjoy it, but with Ben gone, it's just too hard to get everything done. Tonight, though, I really wanted something tasty.

I decided on this soup because it's delicious, full of vegetables, and super easy to make. My oldest child, Eli is an aspiring chef, so he'll eat just about anything (or at least give it a try), but my three-year-old, Carli, definitely has issues with this soup--too many "big green things!" I just keep making it though--it'll have to grow on her.

It's pretty low in points, and if you use whole-wheat pasta, it's good for the Core plan as well.

Beef Macaroni Soup Serves: 6 Points: 4

1 lb lean ground beef

1 can diced tomatoes, undrained

1 small can tomato sauce

3/4 cup water

1 can beef broth

2 cups frozen mixed vegetables

1/4 tsp pepper

1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium-high heat, drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, broth, vegetables and pepper. Bring to a boil; add macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender. Add salt to taste.

It's a really big serving for four points, and really filling. It's a great way to get in some vegetables at the end of the day.


No comments: